How To Simply Make Good Kunu Zaki: I Dont know about you, but I am big fan of Kunu, most especially when it is served very cool, boy o boy you are taking me to cloud 9.
So, I’ll be showing you how to make kunu, got the tutorial from 9jafoodie and a video is also attched for you to use in creating yours
And wait, when you make it send my share for me o.
What Is Kunu/Kunun/Kunun Zaki?
Kunun or Kunu or Kunun Zaki is a hausa drink, it is produced from millet and spices (ginger, cloves, red and black pepper), it is non alcoholic and is best served chilled, many of its ingredients can be found here in Nigeria and
can be made from the comfort of your kitchen.
Ingredients to use in preparing Kunun
To prepare good Kunun you need the following ingredients.
- 4 cups de-hulled millet
- 1 teaspoon each (ginger, cloves, grain of paradise and black peppercorn)
- Sugar (to taste)
- Large bowl, Sieve
Directions to prepare Kunu
- Place the millet in a large bowl and cover with water. leave for 24hours. Discard the water and wash the millet thoroughly.
- Place the millet and spices in a blender, puree until very smooth
- Add some water to the pureed mixture (just enough to make sieving easier). Sieve the mixture and discard the resulting shaft.
- Allow the slurry to settle for three to five hours and decant the supernatant (clear liquid above the sediment). The resulting settled mixture should be thick
- Divide the mixture into two parts (Part A should be two thirds of the mixture, and Part B, one third).
- Mix Part A with a small quantity of water and add boiling water to a ratio of 4 cups of water to 1 part of slurry for partial gelatinization of the slurry.
- Mix Part B with cold water in a ratio of 3 cups of water to 1 part of slurry.
- Thoroughly combine the two slurries (Part A and Part B) and add sugar to taste. The product obtained is the kunun zaki
Simple!!! You have made your first Kunun Zaki, my share please?
Well watch this videos to educate yourself well.
Cool or nah?