How To Prepare Zobo Juice: Zobo is one juice that has stood the test of time, not owned by a brand, no advertisement but it has saved Nigeria’s stomach most especially in their places of work or learning.
Zobo is not only celebrated in Nigeria, as Nigerians will say “Eh de travel no visa”.
What Is Zobo?
Zobo is prepared from the dried calyces (sepal) of the hibiscus plant flower. Zobo leaves are also called; sorrel, flor de Jamaica and rosemallow. Although the drink is known
by different names all over the world (Zobo, Hibiscus tea, bissap, wonjo), the flavor profile is very similar, the drink usually has a tangy flavor profile.
Interesting Facts About Zobo
- Nutrition Facts: “100 g of hibiscus fruit contains 49 calories, 12.3 g of carbohydrates with 2.3 occurring as dietary fiber, 1.9 g of protein, 14 mg of vitamin C, 300 mg of beta carotene, 57 mg of phosphorus, 2.9 mg of iron and 1.7 mg of calcium”
- Health Benefits: Zobo contains 15-30% organic acids, including citric acid, maleic acid, and tartaric acid. It also contains acidic polysaccharides and flavonoid glycosides, such as cyanidin and delphinine.
The tea is popular as a natural diuretic and is used traditionally as a mild medicine. Dieters and people with kidney problems often take it without
adding sugar for its beneficial properties and as a natural diuretic. A 2008 USDA study shows consuming hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure in a group of prehypertensive and mildly hypertensive adults
Recipe/Ingredients for preparing Zobo
- 1 cup dried Hibiscus Sepal ( Zobo Leaves)
- 4 cups boiling water
- Juice of one lemon
- Sugar to taste
- Acuity(That’s being smart)
Steps To Prepare Zobo Juice
Step 1: Boil your water, note the lesser the water, the ticker the zobo.
Step 2: Set the leaves in a large bowl, cover with the boiled water.
Step 3: Set aside for 2-4 hours (this will allow the drink to steep)
Step 4: Pour the drink through a sieve or strainer to separate the fluid from the leaves
Step 5: Add some ice, lemon juice and sugar to taste. Combine.
It’s quite easy to prepare compared to preparing Kunu
Steps To Prepare Zobo Juice(Video)
- Zobo can be served chill or hot.
- You can spice your zobo up by adding any flavor of your choice(Pineapple, Vanilla, Berries, etc)
- Zobo stains, so choice of apron matters.